Thursday, November 25, 2010

thanksgiving day recap


cooked my first entire thanksgiving meal today. everyone helped. awesome.
temperature outside during a last-minute walmart run for evaporated milk: 9°
number of cubes of butter used: 10
results: near perfection. juicy turkey, smooth gravy {thank you mr. coleman, who always makes the gravy at our house}, fluffy mashed potatoes, tart apple pie.

after the feast we headed up the canyon for some sledding fun... i went down once. then took pictures until everyone had cried at least once and my fingers froze and we decided it was time to go.

snuggled on the couch with my family and watched SHORT CIRCUIT to round out a 80's movie marathon. {last night it was THE BOY WHO COULD FLY—totally radical 80's movie if i do say so myself}

naptime.

washed dishes.

mr. coleman heads out at 10pm with casey and micah for some black friday fun while i sit toasty warm inside the house blogging. {someone has to watch the babies.}

i am so grateful for the blessings in my life. two thoughts keep running through my head today.

first: this quote from george washington.

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor...Now, therefore, I do appoint Thursday, the 26th day of November 1789... that we may all unite torender unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection.

what a beautiful idea: a holiday set aside to remember the blessings the Almighty God has given us.

second: the lyrics to the song WORTHY TO STAND by jessie clark funk

When the war is done
and the battles of this life are through,
When the Savior comes
and the earth is full and new,
I will fall
on my knees
for the mercy He has shown to me.

when i think how much he has forgiven me of, my goodness. gratitude and humility in large enough measure to bring me to my knees. that is all i can say about that.

i hope you all had a wonderful, blessed day.

8 comments:

  1. beautiful thoughts.
    and it looks like there are several books i need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are always so thought provoking. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sledding? 10 sticks of butter? sounds dreamy. i kind of wish we could've gone sledding. maybe we'll have to go to utah next year for thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes anna, let's. that picture is making me smile and wish i went sledding too.

    it took me all day to make pies. i cannot even imagine trying to cook the whole entire feast in my kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, amen to it all.

    And I absolutely loved when we made our own Thanksgiving feast for 3 yrs while we were in PA. There's something really special about making such a momentous meal for just our own family. Then there's something really special about being with billions of cousins, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I passed the Versatile Blogger Award onto you. You can check it out here if you'd like: http://bit.ly/gUOj3d

    ReplyDelete