Thursday, June 17, 2010

Current Favorites: Part 1

I think it's about time for another top 10. Don't you? And because I'm feeling wordy, let's go ahead and give each item it's own special post. Check back everyday until I'm done. I think I've got at least 10 things to share with you.

Item number one: Ataulfo Mango


Don't confuse these with the other variety of mango you will find in your typical grocery store. I find Ataulfo Mangoes at Costco. Grown by Freska Produce, these little babies are sweeter, deeper orange in color and more creamy (less fibrous/stringy) in texture than regular mangoes. They never taste soapy like their unripe cousins, either. And the best part is that they are cheaper.

Our family eats at least 12 a week, sometimes more. And I put them in my most favorite desert of all time.
Which recipe I'll share with you because I love you. It's adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe:

Mango Raspberry Crisp - Serves 8

6 mangoes, peeled and pitted
2 half-pint container raspberries
4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice


FOR THE CRUMB MIXTURE
6 tablespoons plus 2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cup finely ground nuts*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, at room temperature

Directions

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Slice the mangoes into 3/4-inch pieces; transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the lemon juice, 6 tablespoons sugar, and 2 tablespoon flour, and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together nuts, salt, remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, and 2/3 cup sugar until combined. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or two knives, until the mixture is crumbly. Continue working in the butter until completely incorporated and there are no dry crumbs. Squeeze mixture together to create pea-size to half-inch clumps.

Add the raspberries to the reserved mangoes, and pour into a 2 quart glass baking dish. Place nut-and-flour mixture on top, allowing some of the fruit to show through. Bake until top is golden brown and the fruit juices are thick and bubbling, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven; place on a wire rack until slightly warm. Serve with your favorite vanilla ice cream.

*Martha recommends hazelnuts, which I have used with delicious, yet expensive results. I use walnuts or pecans normally; just grind them up in a blender.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm! I love mangoes, I'll have to try that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently realized that I love mangoes a lot more than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm... this looks amazing. Making it tomorrow. Seriously. I'm pretty sure this recipe is gonna change my life.

    ReplyDelete