Want an idea for a cheap Halloween decoration? Make a bat tree. This cost me nothing, since we already had about 9 cans of black spray paint hanging out in the shop.
1. Gather twigs.
2. Cut out bats from junk mail paper [use a whole punch for the eyes].
3. [optional] Buy birds in assorted colors from your local craft store. I already had these.
4. Spray paint everything black [outside, on the grass].
5. Apologize to your husband for the black spots on the grass and convince him it adds to the "spooky Halloween ambience" of your exterior. Offer to mow the grass if that doesn't work.
6. Fill a container [I used a vase] with something heavy i.e. rocks or sand.
7. Add your twigs.
8. Tie your bats on with black thread through the eye holes.
9. Attach your birds. I left some orange.
10. Ta da!